The front lawn is undoubtedly an important part of any home so you just have to get an idea on how to improve your flowerbed designs. Surely you would want the first thing you see to be aesthetically pleasing when you arrive from a stressful day at work, and we all know a beautiful front garden gives you plus points with your relatives or in-laws when there are monthly family dinners. Thus, you just got to make your front lawn appealing with an array of colorful flowerbed designs that add to the beauty of your home.
Types of Flowerbed Designs
There are two types of general flowerbed designs you could place on your garden:
1. Flowerbed Borders are, as the name suggests, borders of flowers that are placed along the sides of the driveway or the entire house. Creating this type of flowerbed design requires attention and practice in a skill called “edging.” Beginners usually hire help to deal with this kind of style.
2. Island flowerbeds are much more common. What is special about islands is that they could be appreciated from all sides and their flexibility allows you room for creativity, as you can use several kinds of flowers in one isolated flowerbed and choose any shape you want to fit your front lawn.
Evaluating Your Flowerbed Designs
Before planting a flowerbed, the first thing you should do is to evaluate three things: location, size, and viability. Location refers to where you should plant your beds. Of course, flowerbeds should be strategically placed in areas where they could be appreciated fully without compromising the comfort and need for space. Pro designers recommend that the flowers’ sizes in full bloom should be taken into consideration because small flowers won’t go well with taller ones.
A lawn’s viability is how “flower-friendly” it is. This is to know what types of flowers you should be getting according to their will to grow in your lawn. For example, in a garden made shady by lots of trees, it would be best to purchase flowers/flower seeds that do not require much sun. The type of soil is also important before purchasing the right types of flowers.
Starting with Your Flowerbed Designs
Designing the flowerbed is the most fun and most tiring part of the process. Here are some tips that can help you get started with your flowerbed designs:
- Good viability of not just the soil but also of the flowers is important. You should take note of the life cycle of the flowers you choose to expect full bloom at the same time.
- Harmony of colors is an integral part of flower bed design. Use a color palette or a color wheel as a guide so that the appearance of the flowers won’t clash with each other.
- Vibrancy is also expected in a good flower bed. Bold colors such as red and yellow for warm-themed islands and purple and blue for cool colors.
- Be that as it may, there aren’t really any restrictive rules in flower bed design. It is really up to you and your creativity as the design of your home should reflect your personality.
There are a lot of websites that provide DIY tutorials and photos of various flowerbed designs that can give ideas on what type of style you want for your garden.